Thursday, April 29, 2010

Soap Making With a Passion

Handmade, natural soap is definitely high on my list of favorite things. I love the way it makes me feel when I see an array of beautiful soaps, take in the fragrances, and finally make my selection so I can take some home to experience the sheer creaminess of the lather. Not many people fully understand my attraction to soap, but that changed one Sunday afternoon at the Bethesda Central Farm Market.

As my husband and I were walking through the market, Mystic Water Soap lured me over with a beautiful display. As I was touching and smelling all the soaps, the owner and soap maker, Michelle Burns, introduced herself. She was very friendly and helpful, and her passion for handmade, quality soaps shone through as she shared some information about her soaps, and also a little of her personal experiences.

Michelle has always been drawn to traditional handicrafts. She's led a very interesting life, from her early years living with her grandparents on their farm in upstate New York, to San Francisco, where she worked in a restaurant which led to her becoming a professional cook. She traveled the world, and spent most of her adult life living in Italy, where she learned to make soap from local olive oil. Michelle's cooking background influences her soap making - color, appearance, and interplay of scents are very important to her.

If you share my love of wonderful, handmade soaps (or know someone who does) make sure to check out Mystic Water Soap. You will find Natural, Bath, Sea Salt and Specialty soaps. She also offers bath and body products. You can purchase Mystic Water Soap products at markets, festivals, order directly by phone or email, or find them at Smile Herb Shop in College Park, MD.

http://www.mysticwatersoap.com/ Available products, contact and ordering info, festival/market schedule

Brand of the Free - Better Apparel for a Better World
http://www.brandofthefree.net/
Click here for BOTF Facebook Page Conversation, fun, info and special offers

No comments: